Take that, Arbalest! (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, April 25, 2019, 12:12 (1825 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Is only 100% new missions and never before seen bounty goals what’s really being held up here as what is necessary to enjoy Destiny 2 again?

No, but there has to be a foundation of new content for me personally to really get interested again, at this point. This Annual Pass stuff was a fine experiment, but it's a failure for me. I like the lore stuff they've been doing. The Invitations of the Nine is a cool idea. But without a strong foundation for me to want to be playing the game, it's not enough to get me to log in every weekend and do it.

I really prefer Curse of Osiris and Warmind to the Annual Pass, and it's not even close. Give me a Warmind with the Inviation of the Nine type thing to build upon the main campaign, and I'd be super excited to keep playing. Gambit Prime and The Reckoning aren't it for me.

Content doesn't have to be new, but it does have to be worthwhile. That's obviously just a personal value judgement, but none of the stuff happening in The Revelry feels worthwhile. There is obviously fun that can be had there, but it feels very much like filler content to support a live game, rather than something truly fun that exists for its own sake. I'd have a really hard time believing that developers can look at something like The Revelry (or any of the past events) and truly think "Yeah, that's amazing, worthwhile content!" And I'm not knocking those designers or even the events themselves, just the fact that they are obviously events of necessity to try and keep players engaged, rather than truly fun activities that were made because someone was really passionate about how cool they were.

I totally get Destiny fatigue. Simply having an ongoing string of events, even if they are good, leads to fatigue. Nobody wants plays the same game forever. But (no surprise, right?) I also get disagreeing with those who are arguably making acquiring this new gun more “bullshit” that it really is.

I think you read "bullshit" as a more negative term than I do. I use that term and ones like it very casually, are more as a general standout to "stuff," although, yes, with a slight negative connotation. Cody might mean it much more negatively than I would, though.

Especially given that this was one of the easiest processes to earn an Exotic in recent memory. The Last Word and Thorn were both significantly harder, I believe.

Easy doesn't mean fun, though. I don't know what the difference is, but I had a lot of fun doing the grind for both of those weapons. The grind for the Arbalest looks like busy-work by comparison. Maybe most of that is just down to one of mindset--I was active in Destiny and having a blast with the game in general when I did the quests for The Last Word and Thorn, and I'm not playing Destiny right now.

I know I've become sort of negative again lately, and I don't intend to. I'm eager for Bungie to put out something that will really get me back into Destiny. This little scraps of checklists to run through just aren't it for me anymore.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread