THAB 5/16/19: No Fun Allowed edition (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 16, 2019, 18:13 (1805 days ago) @ CyberKN

"No fun allowed"?

I suppose it depends on whether you find sniper rifles fun. To me, sniper rifles, especially the Exotics ones with infinite ammo, always turned Destiny (1&2) into a "who has the exotic sniper rifle" game instead of a game of tactics or weapons diversity. Nobody likes narrowly failing boss encounters, but if bosses all but require the use of one or two weapons, then I'd say the boss battle is set up wrong. A team's ability to focus DPS should be important, but the team shouldn't fail because someone dared use a weapon not at the very tip top of the meta.

Likewise, I'm very glad to hear than Exotics that grant Super energy are being nerfed. In some Raid encounter, it almost felt like having a Hunter with Shadow Shot and Orpheus Rigs notably was completely manditory, the fight against Shuro Chi in particular, and that never sat well with me. What happened from my point of view is I followed behind the teammate with the "if I miss my Super we might as well start over" Hunter and did not risk shooting anything lest they didn't get their Super back. The only times I felt like I got to contribute were when the Hunter did miss. It kinda sucked.

Overpowered weapons and Supers can be a lot of fun for those who rack up the highest numbers on the scoreboard or are the key players in encounters. But, if things are too unbalanced, the people not using those essential weapons or powers can feel like they are dead weight being pulled along. For a long time Titans didn't even have an Exotic that gave back Super energy, for instance. Where's the fun in some people getting Super after Super after Super on repeat in the amount of time it takes others to recharge their Super once?

It could be that these nerfs go too far, but not every nerf is a Bungie vs. Fun situation. It will be interesting to see what the community thinks of these changes... before and after they actually experience them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread