I'm kinda salty (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, May 17, 2019, 19:20 (1767 days ago) @ ManKitten

I don't really see why this is considered broken. IMHO, the purpose of these exotics and supers IS to build that special loadout to become unstoppable. Isn't that the point of being a guardian bestowed with light?

I mean, is it?

Being powerful is certainly fun. Being so powerful that previously difficult activities become trivial is not all that fun, in my opinion.

Something like Escalation Protocol with a full 9 people used to be a blast, but, when Warmind was new, even with that full 9 people, it was still reasonably difficult.

Now, a team of 4 or 5 can destroy a full seven waves of EP without even trying. That's fun . . . once. After that it feels no different than a much longer public event in terms of difficulty. Some people look at that and see power growth or whatever. I just see a previously fun, challenging activity becoming more boring.

Power Creep is a very real thing, and it's not an easy problem to solve (actually, it is--ditch power level as a mechanic and bring back difficulty selection).

Things like Orpheus Rigs have the problem that has been stated. It either trivializes encounters that don't take having those things into account, or it makes it completely necessary to use them and negates any other options for encounters that do take them into account. Having a super ability that is essentially infinite is straight up broken, I don't see how anyone could argue that it's not. Again, it's certainly fun! But undoubtedly broken.

I have many, many problems with current Destiny, but this isn't one of them. They can't just keep buffing stuff and bringing everything up to par instead of nerfing things, unless you want a huge mess of mechanics and everything being overpowered.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread