“Fix Trials” indeed (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 14:17 (1455 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Bungie: “We want to make sure we really stick the landing with Trials. It’s important that this doesn’t come out half-baked”

Trials loot table for April 24:

• 3 Wins (Powerful): Chest
• 5 Wins (Powerful): Eye of Sol, Sniper Rifle
• 7 Wins (Pinnacle): Exile's Curse, Fusion
• Flawless (Pinnacle): Chest

That’s right, the reward for going Flawless this week is literally the exact same drop as the reward for 3 wins.

Sorry guys, but if the devs responsible for bringing back Trials have so little understanding of the activity that they allowed it to ship like this in the first place, I don’t trust them to know how to fix it. I hope they do, but I’m not holding my breath.

All three of my characters are at 1009, missing exactly one piece to advance to 1010. (Boots on my Titan and Warlock, Helmet on my Hunter.)

They were all there before I did any pinnacle activities this week.

I've gotten 22 pinnacle drops so far this week (8 on my Warlock, 7 each on my Titan and Hunter), and none of them filled that missing slot on any character.

Chappy is in worse shape than I am - he's at least one full week ahead of me (maybe 2) in terms of being one piece short, and he gets more pinnacle drops than I do (he does the raid 3 times, adding 12 drops/week).

The idea of a guaranteed pinnacle drop in a SPECIFIC SLOT would make me work really hard to get to the lighthouse. (This week there's no point, but if boots or helmet show up before I complete...)

I’d have a huge problem with this entire approach, were Bungie to shift that way. I’m totally with you when it comes to the frustration of reaching the level cap when RNG just wont give you the drop you need, but there are other, better ways to overcome that problem (like some kind of automatic slot prioritization when it comes to pinnacle drops). The problem with this bring THE primary reward for going to the Lighthouse is that 2-3 months later, it’s gone. Meaningless. Heck, it might be even faster than that. You might get the drop in the slot that you needed a few days later.

My Adept Trials weapons in D1 meant something. They were great guns, but they were also trophies, pieces of memorabilia. Every single time I equipped and used any of those weapons, my experience of earning them was brought to the forefront of my mind. And that’s very compelling for me. It’s the same reason I use Not Forgotten all the time, even in high-level PvE activities where it is FAR from the most effective option. It’s because the climb to Legend meant something to me. It’s an experience that I’m happy to hold on to, and having an in-game physical avatar for that experience that I can use while fighting the darkness is, IMO, one of the best things about Destiny. Replacing stuff like that with a slightly more efficient way to climb to the top of an ever resetting and repeating light level climb reduces it to the point of being meaningless, IMO.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread