Fix it in Post (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 19:06 (1434 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think they thought they'd nailed it. Hence the whole “We want to make sure we really stick the landing with Trials. It’s important that this doesn’t come out half-baked” line from the ViDoc (boy, I bet they regret that one, lol). I think the Trials community's near-unanimous outcry over what a huge blunder this has been is impossible for Bungie to ignore at this point, so they have no choice but to say that they're looking into it, at the very least (I'm also sure there have been more than a few "I TOLD YOU SO!"s going around within Bungie). Again, I could totally be wrong here. But if I am wrong, that would mean Bungie knew that Trials was coming out half-baked.

Knowing it was "half-baked" is plausible, though the phrase I'd use is good enough. Running with this idea, the downside of creation in a bubble (since you can't say anything to the internet in a official capacity without it suddenly becoming a "guarantee" where none exists) is that the ideas grow in their own ecosystem. I'd be one to wager that, if one of us had the chance to NDA up the ability to test in house, that it would feel ready out of sheer sample size. Fun, among one another. "No Plan Survives Contact with the Enemy", or in Bungies case, the sheer range in numbers. It has to be good enough to play well, then fix what is missed with the new data.

Problem is, it wasn't good enough, and they had two years to get it there. Woof.

This is where Overwatch does something that I would love Bungie to create; PTR (Public Test Region). A server/Mode with the main purpose of testing in-progress code. Then again, they do have something like that don't they? If I'm recalling that right, I wonder why they didn't use it? I guess it would be for the glory of surprise, but it was a pretty open secret that Trials was to return in one form or another.

Besides the fact that this would make them bold-faced liars...

It's not a lie if you actually believe it. Marketing or not, I want to say they believed it. They put their names on it.

...it also strikes me as unlikely due to the fact that they really need Trials to be a hit. This season is the thinnest chunk of content they've ever released. They needed Trials to carry it. I don't think they would have shipped it unless they thought it was ready. And that right there is the cornerstone of all my concerns around Bungie right now. It worries me that a studio like Bungie, with all their talent and creativity, would look at this iteration of Trials and say to themselves "It's ready. Lets ship it". Because if their collective judgement is in fact that far off the mark, then I can't trust anything they say. If they come out next week and say "we've got it figured out! We've got a whole overhaul ready for Trials, it will go live next season, and it'll be awesome", well, I'll just be waiting for the first day it goes live and the community finds a bunch of equally obvious problems as we have right now.

Amen on that.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread