Do we need more reasons to dislike Blizzard? (Gaming)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:31 (1332 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-03/blizzard-workers-share-salaries-in-revolt-over-wage-disparities

In 2018 messages on internal Blizzard communication channels reviewed by Bloomberg News, employees talked about money-saving measures they’ve taken to remain with the company. One employee wrote that they had to skip meals to pay rent and that they used the company’s free coffee as an appetite suppressant. Another said they would only eat oatmeal and bail on team lunches because they couldn’t afford to buy food at the company cafeteria. A third said they and their partner stopped talking about having kids because they knew they wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Blizzard doesn't pay a living wage.

Disparage between higher ups and others? I can see that. Problems? Sure. But that mostly feels like a slam piece. I have no doubt it's not the best studio to work for. However the quote is just stupid.

1. One employee wrote that they had to skip meals to pay rent and that they used the company’s free coffee as an appetite suppressant.

Why the heck did you take a job where you can't pay rent and afford food? Because nothing in that article says that they decreased anyones wages. So the only other case is that their rent went up. Blame your landlord and where you live, not your job that you chose.

I'm a little flummoxed at what blaming the landlord would accomplish in this case.

2. Another said they would only eat oatmeal and bail on team lunches because they couldn’t afford to buy food at the company cafeteria.

Hey I know, make a sandwich and not oatmeal. Can't afford a home made sandwich? Them maybe you really need to think about your priorities in life. A company cafeteria to me is a luxury.

Maybe expectations at the job don't give them an opportunity to bring in a home-made sandwich every day.

3. A third said they and their partner stopped talking about having kids because they knew they wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Yeah, cause kids are #$%@ing expensive. They also happen to be pretty cheap depending on how you do it. People have really high standards these days.

I'm all for equal wages, but I hate pieces that make it sound like these employees are 1800s orphans on a street corner. They made choices when they took the job, and yes they should be paid more, I think? But this article makes it sound like their hand was forced by some evil corporation.

1800s orphans on street corners weren't debating with their partners about whether or not they could have kids... I think the article is a bit sensationalist, especially considering Activision, a company that allegedly wanted to get Foie Gras out of Bungie, is an easy target as an evil corporation, but I don't think the responses here should respond in kind.

At the end of the day, it DOES sound like they have a massive pay disparity and that it's affecting morale. This is not some random indie dev scraping by on savings, this is Activision Blizzard we're talking about, and I think if they have employees are avoiding having kids because they don't feel financial stable enough, that it's fair to say maybe they aren't getting paid enough at the multi-billion dollar a year business.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread