Let's save some time (Gaming)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 15:58 (1354 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I would have thought this would have been something worth talking about but I was wrong.
This thread has become massive and it almost entirely boils down to 3 responses:

#NotAllGameCompanies

I honestly don't know why this matters. Is it that you are not allowed to care because it's only at one game company? I'd think having a specific well-defined target would make something more actionable. Is it the opposite? Is the point that the problem is so widespread that it makes no sense to care about any specific company? Well, the journey of a thousand steps and all that, right? Blizzard is surely a significant chunk of the game industry. It seems like the point is just that this is not a scope of the topic that will be allowed. I don't know what could be said to make this a good conversation.

If people are not being paid enough it is their own fault / I believe in companies more than workers / Look at my bootstraps / This Calvin guy has some good ideas

Yeah, I dunno. I could try to describe the enormous disparity in negotiating power, the crumbling of social institutions designed to create a fair playing field, the generational loss of employment as a aspect of a life, not the center of health and identity, the fusing of corporate and political interests… Or I could try to come up with analogous situations you have a less immediate bounce back to when you hear them — all of it victim blaming across a range of spheres, I suppose — but none of them seem any more likely calm things down and set the scene for open-minded conversation.

I don't care [because X is not proven by this story] and you have done a really terrible job of addressing my goalposts, which I announced after your post.

The story will not change to provide new evidence or angles no matter how much we post here. Cody didn't write it. If you want to talk about related topics that seems great, but so far these type of posts only seem interested in talking about how bad it is that Cody or this article didn't talk about related topics.

--------------

The fact that I can summarize all of this with nothing but references to other dumpster fires of people talking past each other throughout history should hopefully make my point. This is like a thread on climate change where every response is only interested in arguing about what ISN'T in the article and every poster is either unconvinced there is a problem, or unconvinced they should care about the problem.

This has become contentious and lopsided as hell, and yet nobody is listening to what anyone else wants to be heard saying, so let's all just drop it and hope things work out in a way that allows people to find some happiness whether they work at blizzard or post here.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread