Celeste and the failure of modern pixel art aethetics (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, August 24, 2020, 09:09 (1312 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don’t think that’s the right way to look at these games. Some of them are trying to evoke that classic style, sure. Many of them are not. They may be pixelated, but they are their own distinct style, doing things that could not have been done on the older tech. The best of them are not trying to emulate (or even necessarily evoke) those classic graphics.

Yes exactly. But the style a lot of modern games go for is bad.

I really need to add this... TO YOU
It's not technically bad, it's artistically bad in your opinion.

We forget that pixel art at the time was done at the highest level the hardware would allow. So the modern take is not only a regression of style, but of technical ambition.

How do you know it was even pixel art at the time? Pixel art is a modern concept. Also, how do you even know it was trying to be art? Most of the games could very well have been just considered graphics that got the game perspective across.

What I'm trying to say, is just because games were pixelated doesn't mean you can assume they were all considered "Pixel Art" at the time.

I really want you to dig in on this because I'm confused as to what point you are trying to make when it comes to the failure of present day artists.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread