Counterpoint: Celeste is a great game with great art (Gaming)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 27, 2020, 10:53 (1332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The game fetishizes mechanics to the point where is completely neglects to give you a compelling reason to return or improve.

Of all people... you routinely fetishize mechanics and challenge abhorring extrinsic motivation to the point that you abstain from playing the very game this forum is dedicated to; I'm just so absolutely confused to why that's a negative thing now.

I just explained how there is in fact no intrinsic motivation. Mechanics and challenge are not in a vacuum; they never were. The world is not one I enjoy being in. There is never any tension. I hope this explains the problem.

Yeah I just think that your definition of intrinsic motivation differs from mine. Considering that there is little to no external motivation to play the game beyond to get better at it/beat it makes it inherently all about intrinsic motivation. That it fails to inspire you to play for the sake of playing is just a preference on your part, and I'm good with that. You dislike the art, don't like being in the world, fine.

Saying "how there is in fact no intrinsic motivation" is just wrong without some softening clause in your language.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread