Counterpoint: Celeste is a great game with great art (Gaming)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, August 27, 2020, 09:14 (1338 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This game has been one of the most satisfying games to master specifically BECAUSE I felt like I was developing a set of skills. That you would say that is befuddling to the point that I think you're just taking the piss.

The game is over though. I've already climbed the mountain. The strawberries don't even confer you and tangible advantage in game. They aren't extra lives or powerups. They are just pointless trinkets to collect. I see no reason to go back at all.

The frequent checkpoints negate any tension. That's the fundamental push and pull of skill building in the first place… penalty for failure is a force pushing you to improve. Of course you're better at the game after you play it for a while. That's so obvious. But that getting better is not required nor leveraged to complete the main game, nor does fear of failure drive any tension. And tension means release when you succeed.

The core is locked and I need two more hearts. But I honestly can't even be bothered to go back and find more tapes to do. Even the tapes I've done… why would I go back and do them again?

The game fetishizes mechanics to the point where is completely neglects to give you a compelling reason to return or improve.

Of all people... you routinely fetishize mechanics and challenge abhorring extrinsic motivation to the point that you abstain from playing the very game this forum is dedicated to; I'm just so absolutely confused to why that's a negative thing now.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread