...reckon I'm a jerk. (Destiny)

by squidnh3, Thursday, May 13, 2021, 14:03 (1070 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because it turns out that it’s time-gated. You can only earn up to one strand every two minutes at peak efficiency. It’s a minimum five hour grind for enough to get a single bounty (assuming you’re killing enemies non-stop for those five hours). Twenty-five hours minimum for one set, and 150 hours per season to get your free batches.

I would honestly, with no judgement or anything because I just want to learn, hear and understand the reasoning behind why they are doing it this way. From the outside, it looks like a system so far outside of what is fun I'm baffled because there are sensible alternatives. But there has to be a reason.

I just want to know it.

There actually 2 answers to your question. The first is, why aren't armors just unlocked as ornaments when you get a version of them? The answer to that is they want to have a way to make money off it it, that's quite obvious. The second is, given the system they've implemented to make money, why is it specifically set up the way it is where you get a strand every 2 minutes almost no matter what you are doing. The answer that is to avoid "farms" where people feel obligated to play differently to earn the most strand. Right now just playing normally gets you the most possible strand you can get.

So, on one hand, they've "compromised" the game, but on the other hand, they've tried to prevent it from being "compromised". I've previously said something like the people left playing Destiny are the most pragmatic in the community - we recognize the issues with the game, but enjoy the high points so much we are willing to deal with the issues. It's not super surprising that the people making Destiny are in a similar spot, but it would sure make this all a lot more palatable if they would just admit it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread