Lotta dirt. Some gold. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, September 07, 2022, 22:08 (595 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Kermit, Wednesday, September 07, 2022, 22:17

Heh, I get it. This place is a ghost town sometimes. To be expected, I suppose. Destiny is pretty old now, and lots of folks have moved on. And most of the folks here play together often enough that those conversations just happen there.

I saw your post when it went up, but I was camping over the weekend and just sort of forgot to actually look at the articles until tonight.

There is nothing I have to say about Destiny that should require any attention, eseapsully on a weekend camp out. (Sounds fun!) Sea Bears on the other hand... ahhh, but don't get me started.

Admittedly, I didn’t even look at the second and third links. I’ll do that before I go to bed. The first one was a hard read for me. I’d rather just a transcript of the interview. I don’t need all the explanatory filler between the relevant quotes. It’s just repeating Bungie’s showcase and made my eyes glaze over a bit.

Yeah, the PC Gamer one is all over (and the site is right cancer), and it's true that most of the stuff in these is a rehash of what has been already said. Not completely, but a lot. If it strikes ya as something already discussed than jump a sentence or two.

TL;DR Lotta dirt. Some gold. I found certain tidbits interesting, anyway.

Hey man, I appreciate your efforts. Your writing style is unique, let us say, and not always what I'm able to attend to near bedtime. Not a criticism, just a reading, sir. I'll say again, I appreciate your efforts and your continued interest in the game and participation on this forum. I've used your top post numerous times over the past few weeks as I've gotten into back into the game. Hope we get to play together soon.

Regarding the community, there's crap that gone on here in the past year or so that has changed how I feel about the place, but I still love it ([Sam Cooke croon] for sentimental reasons). Some good people (call them contributors) have moved on, either because they've been run off by dickishness, or just life, man. It has a way of changing your priorities. My interest in Destiny now is primarily social. I've been hoarding lore from the get-go hoping the endgame makes all the missteps okay because it adds up to an ambitious accomplishment of narrative, but I'm not betting the bank on that. The game is fun and beautiful and scratches an itch, but itch-scratching time is limited. All time is limited. Space is limited. I have enough Destiny shirts. Finally.

I care about many people here. So I'm here. I cherish the memory of events and meetups, online and off, I grieve the fact that the same divisive poison infecting much of our culture has trickled into what I used to think of as a sanctuary for fans of good faith. A voice in my head says, "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown." I can't take the advice. I'm in a relationship, and it's complicated. This virtual place is better than most.

You are one of those fans of good faith, and if I don't respond to your posts, it doesn't mean I'm ungrateful. Just busy. [Looks at watch.]

EDIT: wrote this then did stuff, came back, posted, and now I see an INSANE RANT™. Will read, when awake.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread