Post "Lightfall Reveal" Rant (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, September 12, 2022, 01:47 (582 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Kermit, Monday, September 12, 2022, 01:59

You're totally right about Bungie creating great content with great potential and then underutilizing it or letting it die on the vine. (Miss you Titan and Venus.) Unlike Game of Thrones and Star Wars, I don't think they've screwed the pooch yet (though they have gotten dangerously close to the pooch with the, um, screwing device).

Hoping the grand vision yields treasure at the end of this rainbow. Sorry for the rainbow mention; I realize the colors are part of the problem and, in your thesis, presents evidence that their eyes are off the prize. I'll get back that.

As for following through on a plan, I submit that Breaking Bad is an example of a franchise that did follow its vision and plan, yet Jesse Pinkman was supposed to die in season one, and went on to become the moral conscience of the show. And the comic relief introduced in S2 became the center of a spin-off that is arguably a better show, or at least a more complex, nuanced show, IMHO. So there's hope.

Another way of putting it: you're 100% correct about great art coming out of constraints, but it is more than that. It's also about finding gold where you didn't expect it, discovering there's more there there than you ever planned for, as you move organically through the creation process.

Back to colors, I was also put off by the Lightyear--I mean, Lightfall's pallet and tonal shift. As cheapLEY suggested, it may not have the significance we give it. Cyberpunk worlds, despite all the neon, are usually pretty fricking dark. That contrast is an essential aspect, actually.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread