I hate to do this, but I've got to be negative for a second. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 06, 2023, 05:52 (174 days ago) @ squidnh3

But let's take a step back here. I was quite negative on Marathon back when it was announced and my position today has not changed. I mean, just think about what the project represents. Bungie has spent over a decade fine-tuning one of the most miserable PvP experiences in modern gaming -- by almost every single metric -- and their Hail Mary move is to take that "expertise" to a PvP-exclusive title and double down on games-as-a-service? That's the play to secure the future of the company?

Really?!

It's not that I oppose PvP-centric games on principle or that I am necessarily against games-as-a-service. (It's often designed exploitatively, but it can work with smart designers at the helm.) It's just that I am not convinced by Bungie's strategy at all. How can you possibly think of going PvP-exclusive when your current PvP model is complete ass?! They can’t even get matchmaking right.

I definitely don't agree with this sentiment. Without PvP I would likely have moved on from Destiny a long time ago. As far as I'm concerned PvP kept this game alive through quite a few content droughts, and has been very playable with a few notable time period exceptions when certain abilities or weapons veered into the "silly" zone rather than just very powerful. I will agree that Bungie's "adjustments" are just as likely to make things worse as they are to improve them.

If you want replayability, there's no substitute for playing against other humans. PvE requires a large, constant effort to keep generating the 'E'. With PvP, you've just got to get the sandbox right (with the caveat that you've got to get it right pretty much right off the bat, so there are enough 'P's to make it all work). Then you can add maps or matchmaking adjustments or whatever to keep it fresh. What is seems to have cost them to maintain a GaS PvE for the past few years is "everything", so you can see the attraction of a PvP version.

PVP is fun for me when I play it. I'm not very competitive, but I do okay. You get to a certain level, though, and the weaknesses become more important, I'm sure. Thanks for the counterpoint.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread