Halo Season 2, Ep 2 (Fan Creations)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, February 13, 2024, 12:25 (73 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I liked Episode 2 a lot. Never thought I'd see the Master Chief at a dinner party being asked what his K/D is in Spartan Attack, but it worked. We see that the people who fight have families, unlike the Spartans who had nobody but Halsey. A family they left willingly, rather than John being taken as a child. Something he'll never know.

This is the kind of thing the games don't really do - they don't let you reflect on the toll of military life, both physical and psychological. The difference between the face you put on for the public and for yourself. The pressures of not showing weakness. The rivalry.

I swear if someone says they hated this because the MC was 'emotional' I am going to just be silently disappointed and judge them hard.

I'll watch it this weekend. I'm looking forward to it. I'm up for humanity shown. I think some of the best parts of Halo were the reactions of the grunts (both human and grunty grunts), which really grounded the games in a way that felt authentic (even if they were, at times, channeling Aliens). There's lots of reasons I love Reach. You can say it failed at what it was trying to do, but I think it was, more so than other Halo games, trying to show the toll of the war on civilians and non-civilians alike.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread