“Brace for impact!” (Fan Creations)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, March 26, 2024, 19:46 (31 days ago) @ Beorn

The show feels as though some archaeologist who moonlights as a fanfic writer uncovered a portion of the Halo lore from ancient ruins and tried to piece together what they thought the story might be. It's just... all wrong. In so many ways. And sometimes offensively so to anyone who cares for the source material.

The TLDR for me is: I don't think anything in the show was done better than it was in the existing material, and generally, it's objectively worse across the board.

See… the 'source material' for me is a red hering. Are you watching the show to enjoy what it presents, the way it presents it as a TV show, or are you watching it only for the validation of seeing source material you love translated faithfully?

The show can't be 'wrong'. It is what it is, and everything it presents to you is necessarily correct in the world that it's building.

Who killed Batman's parents? Joker, or Joe Chill? Is Batman a tough guy, or a horny nerd? Is Gotham a gritty run down metropolis, or a stylized Operatic Russian Constructivist circus? How could you possibly pick one of these over the other and say 'that's not right', when there is so much more joy in allowing all to exist, and to losing yourself into each one and having fun with that?

I can care about the 'source material', yet have no issue with this existing as it does. I watch it as a CW show in space, and on that level it does exactly what it needs to do.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread