[Kotaku]I played Destiny and it was kind of boring (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 07:51 (3643 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Heh, even if it isn't, "boring" has truly never turned me off of anything. 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, 30-minute Pink Floyd songs with 10 minutes of dogs barking...

But those things are unique. Kotaku's point was that Destiny is not unique, and does not carve out an identity for itself, but is rather an imitation of so many things that end up lacking what the originals had without having a feel of its own.

From a company that is known for unique games with a strong identity / style / feel, this is not good news.

Marathon? No other game like it.
Myth? No other game like it.
Oni? No other game like it.
Halo? No other game like it.
Destiny? Like tons of games.

Heh - I guess you don't remember the gaming press in 2001 very well. To those guys, Halo was just another shooter - like every other shooter out there (except that it was on a console, which meant it already had 3 - no, 4 - strikes against it). There was nothing original about it - what was the point?

In hindsight, you can write 'no other game like it' next to it (and not be wrong). That's a pretty substantial shift.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread