[Kotaku]I played Destiny and it was kind of boring (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 09:02 (3640 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heh - I guess you don't remember the gaming press in 2001 very well. To those guys, Halo was just another shooter - like every other shooter out there (except that it was on a console, which meant it already had 3 - no, 4 - strikes against it). There was nothing original about it - what was the point?

In hindsight, you can write 'no other game like it' next to it (and not be wrong). That's a pretty substantial shift.

Yeah, if I recall correctly, I actually thought Halo looked pretty boring and full of sci-fi tropes before I played it. "Space marines" and aliens were overdone in my mind and I didn't care for FPSs back then (I never owned one until Halo: CE). I didn't pay it much attention and wrote it off.

And then someone handed me a controller at a friend's sleepover and after an hour I was amazed just simply splashing around in a waterfall on Halo and in need of an XBox and a copy. :)

(Also, regarding Cody's original reply to me - I wasn't talking about the intent of the article, simply the use of "boring" as a descriptor, and how it has no negative connotation to me.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread