[Kotaku]I played Destiny and it was kind of boring (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 10:51 (3622 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heh, even if it isn't, "boring" has truly never turned me off of anything. 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, 30-minute Pink Floyd songs with 10 minutes of dogs barking...

But those things are unique. Kotaku's point was that Destiny is not unique, and does not carve out an identity for itself, but is rather an imitation of so many things that end up lacking what the originals had without having a feel of its own.

From a company that is known for unique games with a strong identity / style / feel, this is not good news.

Marathon? No other game like it.
Myth? No other game like it.
Oni? No other game like it.
Halo? No other game like it.
Destiny? Like tons of games.

Heh - I guess you don't remember the gaming press in 2001 very well. To those guys, Halo was just another shooter - like every other shooter out there (except that it was on a console, which meant it already had 3 - no, 4 - strikes against it). There was nothing original about it - what was the point?

In hindsight, you can write 'no other game like it' next to it (and not be wrong). That's a pretty substantial shift.

Heck Halo STILL sits in a spot for some of the games press where it is "still Halo, a mainstream shooter" and that is what is bleeding into the coverage of Destiny. It really has no effect for me since I think "oh, well I hold Halo on a very high pedestal and maybe you don't agree with me but I understand how it's not for you".

So when I process an article like the one in the subject, I'm picking out the differentiators that they pick up and take their boredom with Halo as a sign that it'll feel REALLY good for me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread