I think that's a self-fulfilling prophecy (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, July 14, 2014, 18:16 (3583 days ago) @ RC

The ideal price isn't what it's actually worth, but the one that maximises the overall profit.

Over what period of time, though? And maybe that's not the only measure here. Maybe a more important question for Bungie (and maybe for Activision, too, if the numbers work out) is how can they maximize the number of gamers playing their game?

etc. etc.

Also, from a strictly practical point of view, I don't think we should underestimate what a difference $30 makes to kids depending on allowances, college students depending on trade-in values, and the scores of people who have the budget to buy only one or two new games per year.

If they're that price sensitive, they shouldn't be buying new games on release day in the first place. Get pre-owned games, rent, borrow or share. Have some bloody patience. About half my library was picked up way after release for steep discounts. I played a bunch more games in my youth by trading with my friends at school. Still have those discs, ya know.

Sharing is caring, dude. I think they're aiming to change gaming. I think the goal is get everybody playing TOGETHER, including that huge mass of people who never do that. I've got a 50-something year-old friend at work who I recently found out was a gamer. He never plays with anyone. We've played a few games together now, and he's like a kid in a candy store. The idea is not to pick up the game in a dusty bin many months from now, and digest it like you might last summer's blockbuster movie. The point is to play it now, with everyone else.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread