What if Destiny was $60 with 2 FREE expansions? (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 14, 2014, 20:18 (3583 days ago) @ General Vagueness

That... seems like a bit much. Is that really how it works with movies? I heard about companies forming and disbanding a lot, but no permanent employees anywhere? That seems unlikely, surely the larger companies have permanent employees-- and yes, I mean besides CEOs and managers. Regardless, it doesn't address other creative industries (which I would go into more detail about, but frankly I don't understand the industry side that well).

When a film is made, a company is (usually) formed, usually with the film title. So if I'm working on Blue Harvest, a company 'Blue Harvest LLC' will form. This is the entity that pays me, and what's on my checks. The company is backed financially by either a studio, or independent investors.

The company exists only to produce the film. Unless you want to work on one film all your life, then nobody is a permanent employee.

Back in the days when the Studio system dominated Hollywood, this was different. Fox or MGM would pay you, but you worked for them and only them (unless you were loaned out). You didn't have a ton of choice and had to take scripts the studios had. There's a reason why this is no longer how movies are made :-p

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread