Urk answers lots of post-beta questions on IGN (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, July 29, 2014, 14:42 (3530 days ago) @ Kermit

Well, here's a thought: why even worry about any of this? It would be possible for me to name my characters, but have them ONLY show up to me. Other people I'm playing with would just see my gamertag. Plenty of games do this.

Personally, I'm fine with things the way they are. I just think it's odd that this whole thing has gotten framed the way it has, as if there's a black and white choice between wanting to let people name their characters or not confusing people. It's a conflict that doesn't have to exist.

Honestly, I think a better argument for not having individual names is that it's really tedious to come up with new ones after a while. When Mass Effect 3's multiplayer first launched, you had to name characters each time you promoted a class (reset it to level 1), and you couldn't re-use names. I eventually started just typing random characters because I didn't care anymore. However, I don't think we'll be rolling new characters nearly as often in Destiny.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread