Wow, about to give up (Destiny)

by General Battuta, Friday, September 12, 2014, 16:57 (3523 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is there even the slightest possibility that you and Avateur are being incredibly impatient?

If the game is getting progressively less fun after playing it for near 40 hours, something is amiss if that's an issue of "patience."

Why is it getting progressively less fun?

Again, not trying to attack anyone, just wondering why I'm not having the same sentiments as others.

It gets less fun because the more you play, the worse the grind gets. I don't know if you are level 20 yet, but there is basically nothing new to do, and you are stuck doing the same stuff over and over. The bounties are easy but tedious. Yes, crucible is fun, but that's about all there is unless you like doing the same 6 strikes over and over in the vanguard playlist for gear and marks.

I think this is part of the case against investment systems. It's like that joke about the old man who's got the great yard. A bunch of neighborhood kids come play in his yard every day because it's got a cool rock garden and a sandbox and a cat named Walt. The old man can't stand these kids because they make so much noise, but he knows they won't listen to him yelling.

So he goes out there and says "Kids, I love how much fun you're having. Never stop. I'm going to pay you each a dollar every day to play in my yard." The kids, of course, are overjoyed: they were having a blast anyway, why not make money doing it?

This goes on for a while, but one day the old man has to deliver the bad news. "The economy's collapsing, kids. I can only afford to give you a dime a day to play in my yard. If you play hard, though, you can still make a decent amount."

"Man," the kids say. "It's not worth it any more." So they go and find another yard.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread