Five days out. (Destiny)

by car15, Sunday, September 14, 2014, 03:25 (3522 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The game has been out for five days. Here's where I stand.

Crucible is this game's saving grace. It's far from perfect, but it's the one mode in this entire game that actually WORKS on a fundamental level. I enjoy PvP enough that I'll probably keep playing it for the foreseeable future, but the rest of the game severely lacks replayability. The loot grind is super boring. Patrol mode, which was initially my favorite mode, feels very repetitive now. I only play it when I'm in the mood for some free-roam shootin', which isn't very often, and never for very long. I don't use it for its intended purpose (grinding). The story missions are extremely repetitive, and since the story itself is so unremarkable, I have no incentive to trudge through any of them again, except for the sword one because it actually offers something unique for me to do. The strikes are also repetitive and every boss battle is tedious, but I am partial to one or two of them despite myself. I'll probably replay those occasionally. (But I'm never touching the Moon strike again. FUCK PHOGOTH.)

I'm nowhere near where I need to be for the raid - it will probably take me weeks to grind to level 26. Why should I have to slog through weeks of boredom just to play something I want to play? At least it's not going anywhere... unless Bungie decides to lock it again, which is entirely within their capability. I don't see why they would, but just knowing that they COULD if they wanted to is unsettling to me.

I can see myself playing this six months from now, but only when I'm in the mood for it. This will never be a seven-nights-a-week game like Halo was.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread