I would have loved more mass effect in my destiny (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, September 26, 2014, 05:13 (3507 days ago) @ scarab

Imagine if your guardians could ask questions, all those questions that a person would ask in their circumstances.

It was annoying when someone asked "Have you heard of the Black Garden?" and Ghost said something like "We've heard the legends."
I was like, no, no we haven't. I've no idea what's going on... It would have been nice to have a Mass Effect-esque chat with the Speaker regarding certain things, even if it was from a pool of "Heard any rumors lately" options... Definitely would help to implement the Grimoire into the game if some cards were later added as in-game chatter or dialogue (Xur's got some mighty interesting things to say).

Of course, Bungie would have had to do a lot of world building to answer them. But wouldn't that have been a good thing?

They're not done yet... But I definitely would have been okay with Destiny being delayed for this to have happened...

I have played, for example, Two Betrayals maybe hundreds of times more than any mission in Destiny. But I have never been bored doing it. I always knew the stakes and new the stakes mattered. I've never said to myself, "but I've saved the galaxy before".

Same. More times than I may ever play a mission in Destiny, even. Besides Ninja Gaiden Black, few other games were ever in my Xbox console. Back then success was its own reward, and the story was our investment system...

When I play Destiny I'm not sure that I think much about my character, I think more about loot, rep, and gear. I think I have some thought of my character but I'm distant from the world I'm in.

Pretty sure I thought far more about my S-III than I have about my Guardian. Part of that is the lack of customization. Facial customization is probably the most limited that I've seen in a very long time, and gear is more about stacking the best stats rather than personal aesthetic preferences. I'm fortunate that my Chest armor is nearly perfect aesthetically as well as stat-wise, and I've not seen anyone else with it... But as for everything else...
If I had more control over how my character looked, maybe I'd be more attached to it.

OTOH the ME world is a real world to me, one that I like being in.

And I didn't see that world as "my" world. I played as default male Shep and saw it as his story... And yet, I was insanely attached to the world and the characters... go figure.

Did the Halo story come to easy to Bungie? Is space magic and epic lore too abstract? Too ungrounded?

It started out simple and awesome, then became a space opera that got a bit too ambitious, but had the heart... and then Halo 4 happened and now we're here.

I remember Joe saying that he sat down and tried to write a real world explanation of why we could see fallen " souls" leave their bodies when shot. Maybe he wasn't comfortable with the genre.

Perhaps. Destiny strikes me as Sci-fi fantasy (though Rice would disagree), but it does seem that it's limited by its desire to remain somewhat grounded.

"So what is Sepiks Prime actually doing here?"
"He's taking the souls of the dead, I think."
"Yeah, that's what I thought, but I didn't know if it would be that blatant."
"Yeah, I dunno."

Real conversation... What hurts the universe greatly is the pervasive ambiguity and pole-vaulting over details...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread