I would have loved more mass effect in my destiny (Destiny)

by Quirel, Friday, September 26, 2014, 09:30 (3507 days ago) @ scarab

Imagine if your guardians could ask questions, all those questions that a person would ask in their circumstances.

In that respect, Destiny reminds me of Bioshock Infinite. Booker was a private investigator who was dumped into the middle of a massive floating city. A man in such a situation would be entitled to ask all the questions he likes, but he stuck to muttering to himself.

The very first person I encountered in Columbia was a priest who seemed to be there just to answer questions. I kept walking up to him, pressing all sorts of buttons to initiate some form of dialog, but I got nothing besides the initial cryptic exchange.

So, yeah. Columbia, a healthy city, felt about as alive as Rapture, a city of scavengers and maniacs. It shouldn't have been like that, but the designers decided that the only interaction you needed with citizens was to overhear their dialog.

OTOH the ME world is a real world to me, one that I like being in.

I want to run a bar on the Citadel. Or get a job prospecting planets for the Alliance.

Did the Halo story come to easy to Bungie? Is space magic and epic lore too abstract? Too ungrounded?

I remember Joe saying that he sat down and tried to write a real world explanation of why we could see fallen " souls" leave their bodies when shot. Maybe he wasn't comfortable with the genre.

Sounds like a man after my own heart.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread