I would have loved more mass effect in my destiny (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 26, 2014, 08:09 (3507 days ago) @ Korny

Imagine if your guardians could ask questions, all those questions that a person would ask in their circumstances.

It was annoying when someone asked "Have you heard of the Black Garden?" and Ghost said something like "We've heard the legends."
I was like, no, no we haven't. I've no idea what's going on... It would have been nice to have a Mass Effect-esque chat with the Speaker regarding certain things, even if it was from a pool of "Heard any rumors lately" options... Definitely would help to implement the Grimoire into the game if some cards were later added as in-game chatter or dialogue (Xur's got some mighty interesting things to say).

This is where I'd hoped Destiny would have been more like Deus Ex, or mass effect as people are saying (I didn't get very far in it since the combat was awful). You can hold conversations with characters in each of those games, and things change in the world depending on what you say. In Deus Ex, your objectives could change, the outcome of a mission could change, a secret or sidequest could open up, etc.

This is cool because it allows you to explore things on your own at your own pace. The game doesn't have to stop and give you exposition dump.

The big problem is none of the characters feel real at all. The NPCs really feel like NPCs, and while they may have rich backstory in the lore and grimoire, it doesn't matter since they don't come across as interesting human beings in game. The character you hear the most acts and sounds like a robot, and much has been said of the poor voice acting. It's not good. The only character who feels remotely real, and interesting is the crow.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread