kotaku: Destiny 2 for PC, won't carry over year 1 characters (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 22:32 (2765 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You're right that there's no real reason to be attached to the avatar, and I think that's why I'm so upset about this. I don't want my experience with D1 to have been meaningless to the story of this game (logically, I know it is, but emotionally I want it to have mattered). I want this dude to have a reason for being that makes sense in the game world and that tells a tale. I want Bungie's promise of "your character will be your character for the next 10 years" to be kept, and not just another lie on a pile of advertising bullshit.

I don't want the several hundred hours I've spend in Destiny to be over with a whimper, and not a bang, and then have nothing to show for in Destiny 2. I'm really worried that Bungie is going to boil all of my progress and achievements down to "Destiny 1 players get a special emblem! Hooray!"

I'm conflating this a lot in my mind with my experience of WoW, where my character came with me through every new expansion. I'll grant that those were all, 100%, expansions and not "brand new games" but we were told there was a 10 year plan for Destiny that carried us through a giant overarching story and resetting our dude is, I feel, tantamount to admitting that's all hogwash.

And yes, I can tell from what we've seen so far that it IS hogwash.

But I want to believe.

:(

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread