kotaku: Destiny 2 for PC, won't carry over year 1 characters (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 14:26 (2767 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I would be lying if I said I don't have substantially mixed feelings about the implications made in the article. FoR one, a complete rehaul of all systems doesn't require dropping all assets or even content. Given that Bungie has shown a willingness to update old content "when it makes sense" and all that. A complete rework of the game structure over existing assets, regions (such as adding a human outpost tucked in an expanded Cosmodrome or in The Ishtar Sink) and equipment (perk nodes can be removed, added, changed or maybe the gear system will be rebuilt, but you could still have gear that carries over [Reworked Exotics] or is made fresh [Legendary armor models used with new game mechanics]) without completely destroying the investment of D1 but allowing for a complete overhaul. With 750 people and outsourced teams, the chances them dropping all of the old content doesn't seem like the best avenue.

I would be very disappointed if they dropped all the D1 content completely. Especially when it comes to gear. Everyone has pointed out that is your primary avenue of character, but it's also a substantial element of the universe, too. There are stories within the gear. And with the changes to gear they have done over the last few years, there is still a lot that can be done to grow and personalize characters.

Either way, I doubt D2 will be at either extreme of everything carrying over as is or 100% reset start from scratch. One way or another, there will be a lot of upset in the player base.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread