Small is the new big (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 13:57 (2737 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Wasn't the whole point of making Destiny the way it is was to be able to continue to add onto it, like with WoW, so that at the end you'd have the equivalent of all the content of Halo 1-3 except under a single umbrella, playable start to finish, with significant content dropping once or twice every year over a decade instead of three times with gaps of three years?

Was it? Because I certainly don't recall ever hearing that--just a whole lot of assumptions being thrown around and taken as gospel by the community at large. They talked about a ten year journey with your Guardian being carried forward throughout the journey. I don't recall them ever saying all the content from day one would carry forward forever.

I'm honestly not sure how "a ten year journey with your Guardian carried forward" is consistent with "throw out your old gear and your old characters and by the way all the planets are new too."

In that case, why bother with incremental updates at all? Why not do monolithic releases like before?

Nor should it. If I'm year ten I am playing year one stuff that is just lazy. New new new please.

How the hell is it lazy? I'm not saying they shouldn't add content. They should. They should spend just as much time and effort as they have to date, if not more, adding content to a stable platform without taking it away. By year 10 the game should be 10x bigger than it was in Year 1, and that shouldn't require giving up one square meter of what has been built.

I would kill to have a seamless way to play all the Halo games, in a single engine, with coop that works half as well as Destiny's does. And if in year ten I say hey, wouldn't it be cool to run a Plaguelands patrol for good time's sake, do I want to hear that everybody has to go hunt for a disc, or that they've deleted Destiny 1 off their hard drives to make room? Or that server support for that area is gone?

As is true most of the time, I hope like hell nobody at Bungie thinks about this game the way you do. The way you complain about it, so far I've been lucky, but who knows...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread