Small is the new big (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, September 29, 2016, 06:06 (2760 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Adding to existing areas would only make the game feel smaller than it already does.

...what?

How the heck is it not going to feel smaller when Destiny 2 launches and all it has is just what Destiny 1 has-- probably four or so destinations, with one zone per destination? Or do we think the retool going on is so magical it's going to more than double Bungie's per-man output of content?

Am I the only one horrified by this rumor-- not by the loss of progress, because that just happens, but of the idea that all the current content will be mothballed, and we'll go back to playing a game with a fraction of what we have now, all in pursuit of novelty? Wasn't the whole point of making Destiny the way it is was to be able to continue to add onto it, like with WoW, so that at the end you'd have the equivalent of all the content of Halo 1-3 except under a single umbrella, playable start to finish, with significant content dropping once or twice every year over a decade instead of three times with gaps of three years?

The problem for me is that the nature of the patrol zones and how they are linked to the mission spaces mean every event is happening in the same space. When all this stuff is happening in the same small places when there is an entire solar system, it just makes things feel smaller. For instance, it would feel bigger if the plague lands were not connected to the cosmodrome, but perhaps you could see the cosmodrome way off in the distance and it were a separate area entirely.

You mean like how you can go to the splicer battery and see the guns aimed at the wall in the distance?

Yeah, that would be cool. Too bad that place doesn't exist, didn't feature in a story mission, and isn't accessible in patrol mode with a splicer key.

Most of the cosmodrome is separate. Only Rocketyard and The Divide are shared. Heck, I'd have actually preferred for all the cosmodrome to get the snow/SIVA makeover instead of just doubling two areas between the two zones, but hey, you can't have everything.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread