kotaku: Destiny 2 for PC, won't carry over year 1 characters (Destiny)

by Mad_Stylus, Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 02:22 (2765 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I don't mind us having to start fresh, as players. I'm not terribly attached to my characters as characters. Heck, I'm not even sold a hundred percent on how they look. This is why every MMO/RPG should have a character editor after the fact.

My main concern is the whole starting over as a developer. The upshot is they can fix fundamental problems in the game architecture as opposed to slapping fixes on top of it. Downside is they have to develop that system from scratch, which is a lot of fucking work. Especially if they throw out a lot of pre-existing assets, which were good in of themselves.

"play-in" sounds more like what I expected of the game/patrol before launch. Vicarious and High Moon helping can't hurt.

Problems that need addressing to make D2 a success:

+Content Repetition. I don't mind doing the same/similar missions day in and out. I do wish they have a way so that I can't just play the game or the levels by muscle memory. D1 was very obviously developed by people with extensive knowledge of how to make a single player experience. Despite the setup for many players, its all structured similar to a Halo level.

+Separate PVP and PVE. They kept tripping over each other balance-wise, so penning them both off from each other really couldn't hurt.

+Depth of content. I could burn through all the content of Destiny in maybe a week of dedicated play, not counting Raids. Kinda ties into the first point.

+Gating players and progression. Things like how much legendary marks you can get in a day, other ways of stifling player success to milk overall playtime.

+Shaders. Just let us pick our own damn colors.

+Have the ships be useful.

+Actually have a story. As much as people praised the narrative of Taken King, it had all the substance of a teenagers Star Wars fanfiction. We know you can do better, Bungie, so show us.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread