Today, we fix Iron Banner. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 16, 2017, 07:26 (2396 days ago) @ ManKitten

Just a few thoughts:

- Rewards: If I remember correctly, inspecting the engram shows you can't get Iron Banner weapons and armor... and also regular weapons and armor. Why is the regular stuff included? Even as a bonus? Make the bonus more Iron Banner stuff at the very very least. Giving guaranteed tiers or purchasable rewards or just detecting and stopping duplicates would go a long way to make each level up feel important instead of "this again??"

I think the token system is somewhere between fine and excellent. The rewards the token system is handing out are kinda bewildering. :(

- Seasons: I forget when, but Bungie is suppose to talk about Seasons soon. On a stream or something.

- Gametypes: I would hope the game type rotates each Iron Banner like before. That it isn't Control but is Iron Banner Control gives me a lot of hope it will. It would be nice if Iron Banner game types also had some distinction but we'll see I guess. As for not seeing other game types... some of those you mentioned very nearly require a good team to do well and kinda need a longer game time to be fun. Like, a classic Halo flag at home CTF session was great when it stretched across a two hour stalemate, but nobody these days has the patience for that!

Oddball, in particular, always struck me as a kinda terrible gametype where one team gets the ball then hides together and murders the other team for then next 10 minutes. Fun if you're winning, terrible if you don't have a good team or just fail to get the ball in the opening seconds.

- Power Level: I never really liked the power level stuff. As I said to someone on Twitter earlier, it basically made a major monthly event unplayable for some significant part of the population. Especially right after new releases came out. If you weren't level 400 or 360 or 300 or whatever you'd just get stomped. I think Bungie is shooting for more fairness is D2 which means avoiding making a mode badly slanted against players who don't play as much.

I actually hope Iron Banner stays the way it is with power level not mattering. It's a big, high profile, monthly event and one of the few pvp events that all players should want and be able to play in. I'd be fine if the tougher / more exclusive pvp modes (like Trials) go back to power level based, but maybe Bungie will keep a big event open to all?

Also, this first Iron Banner was soon enough that it seems likely that some significant number of D2 players, perhaps even a large majority of them, are no where near 305 and won't be for some time. Pitting them against 305 top end players might have caused a ton of very very bad games in this first season.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread