Drops are definitely troublesome this time around. (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Monday, October 16, 2017, 16:31 (2396 days ago) @ Ragashingo

All of which tells me that the game isn't fun enough for people to want to play on their own, regardless of whether there are loot drops or not.

Really? For me D2 is way better than D1.

I'm only talking about pvp in my initial post. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Mixed bag for me. The PvE is dramatically improved and really delivers on the promise of D1, I think. The PvP is okay but not as fun for me. It lacks the high skill barrier, which is both good and bad, but I found D1's pvp to have a surprising amount of depth, from various functional loadouts to the intricacies of advanced movement to controlling lanes... it was extremely involved. D2 lacks the movement almost completely, and while I think the weapons changes away from OHKs are a vast improvement, I think also losing the advanced movement and relegating player skill to a backseat to team shooting is a change that is less fun *for me*. It's better than the final iteration of the D1 meta, but overall a step backwards because of the limited mobility options and emphasis on teamwork over individual player skill. I'm sure it will grow on me; it already has.

At pretty much every level and every activity. It does not have an infinite amount to do, but with the additions of the Adventures, it has way more good, hand crafted, voiced mission content than any Bungie game before it.

Yeah, the PvE is great. Seriously. There's tons to do and it's really fun just to wander around these great big spaces. My critiques are purely oriented at PvP (because this discussion is about iron banner, and not, say, the raid).

I think the randomness and uncaring nature of the RNG is pretty bad at the moment. But I think that can be solved in a number of ways. Maybe let us buy vendor armor / weapons directly again with Tokens so playing enough means we can complete the set we want. Or maybe explicitly make it so this round of Iron Banner will only give out the helmet but tell us next round will be the chest pieces so we aren't flailing away not getting something that we want.

I agree that the issue is fixable, and I also believe it needs fixing. The state right now is not good. Your suggestions would all be fine, though I'd like to see something more along the lines of guaranteed armor at 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 packages (different slots so you get a full set in one IB event) rather than 1 item per IB event so a full set takes 5 events.

But yeah... the idea that the game isn't fun enough strikes me as... if not wrong, then not giving enough consideration to what people say they are wanting as opposed to the actual problems.

Again, just talking about PvP. If it's not fun enough that I want to play without the rewards, then it isn't fun enough in my book.

P.S. You're ascribing negatives to Bungie again where they may not necessarily fit. My thought on chasing the dragon is that D2 has made it VASTLY easier than in most or all iterations of D1. For instance, there was never a point where I was stuck at a level like happened in early D1. Did Bungie want me chasing the dragon more then or now??

Eh, different dragons. In D1 you were chasing the dragon of light level because that light level made a small difference in your actual power and effectiveness in endgame pvp. In D2 power level is meaningless in pvp, so you're chasing the dragon of loot drops, and the loot largely doesn't justify the effort required, plus it's all RNG based which means your effort is rewarded randomly, if at all, rather than guaranteed. This particular dragon is not one I am compelled to chase. Ergo, it's not fun for me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread