My problem with the Warframe story (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 15, 2018, 11:32 (2242 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Was that there basically was none until you put a solid 30 hours into the game. I've put in 48 hours into that game and explored more than half the planets and I played maybe 4-5 of the missions when they unlocked. And yet I still don't know much of the story line. That is what bugs me the most about the story line. It might have in depth and great morsels. but if I have to spend 100-150 hours of playing/grinding the game just to get to that point... ehh that's just not worth my time.

I understand that the game has been going for a while and it's a continual process and that's cool. I get that. I personally don't think a game can say it has an awesome story from a game perspective if that is what it takes to actually experience the story line.

Probably just me, but I don't know.

You're not wrong... But at the same time, a lot of it might have to do with how the game never explains the progression system for the story. Some quests you can simply activate from the Codex, some require you to speak to specific characters that you wouldn't think to visit on your own, some require progression on the star chart to unlock, and some you have to buy Blueprints to begin. And then some of these quests require completion before you can get closer to the actual main plot quests.

For those playing as they get released, it makes sense, but for anyone coming into the game, they blur into the background noise of the ten thousand other things that you're having to learn on your own.

I have two friends who had all of the main story quests completed before they were Mastery Rank 8 (about 15-20 hours). I think they used a guide to explain exactly what they needed to do to unlock them, but it shows just how much of the game can bombard even experienced players.

That steeeeeep onboarding curve has always been one of the game's single biggest faults, and one that DE can't seem to fix, possibly due to the sheer amount of systems and content in the game.

Maybe they'll overhaul the Codex at some point, as that's the one aspect of the game that's never really been touched.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread