They actually address the Onboarding issue directly... (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 09:11 (2236 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Korny, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 09:42

It might have in depth and great morsels. but if I have to spend 100-150 hours of playing/grinding the game just to get to that point... ehh that's just not worth my time.

Game Director Steve Sinclair is actually aware of this exact issue affecting new players, and in Noclip's documentary, he addresses that concern directly. Noclip highlights the clip regarding this:

"People are smart. The look at it, they see that complexity, they know, they smell, that that means 'this game is going to take a lot of mental energy, and you're gonna have to read wikipedia if you want to min/max it'. And they know 'I'm either in for that, or I'm out for that". Does this Netflix series have twenty-four episodes, or ten, right?
It's a big commitment to play Warframe. One of the big parts of my job [is] "how much time are we going to burn on a new player, and how much time are we going to give to that thousand-hour player?"

I feel like that's why despite some major overhauls, the new player experience remains daunting. It is, in itself, a gatekeeper for players, to give them an understanding of the depth and quantity of the game's systems. It's definitely not for everyone.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread