Noclip Documentary -- Warframe (Part 2) (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 09:12 (2236 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Korny, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 10:06

The Hail Mary to keep the studio from going bankrupt. This is a fantastic video that highlights just how much DE does right that Bungie doesn't, and more than the first part, I think this is essential viewing for any developer.

There's a particularly great segment that Bungie could definitely learn from at 14:12 in the video (and it's something that I remember reacting to when they introduced and explained the change. It was one of the first things that sparked my love for DE before I even really got into the game).

tl;dr, there was a physics exploit in the game. It broke a lot of the game's movement foundation, and tons of people were using it. Because they knew what triggered it, removing it was an easy fix. Only DE didn't fix it. They looked at why the community was latching on to the exploit, and they completely overhauled the game's movement system from the ground up to turn that exploit into a feature, and not only was the game better for it, but the sheer amount of goodwill that came of it proved to DE that the playerbase has a reason for why they do things, and they like it when the developer listens and iterates on the feedback in the best way possible.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread