It's safer (Destiny)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, November 05, 2018, 08:47 (2006 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

His points about players cheesing the Bridge is also a strange one (by which I mean, it is strange that anyone ever cheesed the bridge because it was actually slower and more difficult than simply doing the encounter normally. I can't explain that one).

The abyss is a fantastic encounter. It is fun and exciting every single time. The fact that a small portion of the player base learned how to cheese it is, IMO, fine. Not a problem. When I compare it to more recent iterations on a similar style of encounter (such as the chase to deliver Riven's heart at the end of Last Wish <- Last Wish spoiler), the Abyss remains fun and exciting 4 years later, while the latter example is a pain in the ass that I would skip every time if I could.

These encounters weren't soft on the new players (especially with the punishing level requirement [remember how Crota was 2 levels higher than the cap itself?!]). This leads to sherpas preferring to play it safer over more fun, lest it devolve into a frustration-fest when you keep failing inches from the end only to start all over again.

Having certain players take a "lead" role in raid encounters was fantastic. It allowed players who were more experienced or more skilled in certain aspects to lead and direct a team of less experienced players to success. It was a path for new raiders to participate and get a feel for the encounters without being overwhelmed by a tsunami of mechanics. Then, as those players become more familiar with an encounter, they can graduate to more of a "lead" role.

It's weird. I agree the avalanche of mechanics is bad for a newbie, but I strongly disagree with your conclusion. I think most of the confusion derives from how people usually explain the encounter, i.e. explaining the strategy instead of explaining the mechanics first and THEN how to tackle them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread