Fun Thread - Crota designer looks back on the raid (Destiny)

by squidnh3, Monday, November 05, 2018, 09:53 (2006 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The crota encounter isn't the best example of what I was trying to describe. I totally agree that the sword-wielder was a particularly stressful role that did split the player base. However, I would still say that it was preferable to the raid team's current philosophy. If the Crota fight were made today, they'd likely require every player to take turns running the sword, or they'd force a certain player at random to take the sword. I'd much rather have the player who wants to run the sword be the one taking that responsibility.

I don't think their philosophy is quite as rigid as he suggests (he's also one member of a large team, and Twitter is an awful medium) It seems to me like now we have a good mix of encounters that allow both player allocation and promote player participation/understanding. I like getting people involved - I think a lot of people are afraid to speak up or ask to do different roles. I hate arguing about who gets to do what (it makes me feel like arguing with my siblings when we were kids about who gets what seat in the car), so sometimes you just go with the flow.

Not every encounter needs the same basic philosophy. I think Last Wish's first 4 encounters are great, and the 5th is totally wild (I think it's fine, but hating it seems totally reasonable). That's a pretty good great/wild ratio to me. The raid design team does not worry me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread