Fun Thread - Crota designer looks back on the raid (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 05, 2018, 09:22 (2006 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

https://twitter.com/bthorne/status/1059236386182578176

Read the whole thread. It's pretty interesting.

It's interesting, and also somewhat illuminating for me personally, given that I tend to disagree with almost every conclusion he describes. Some of his points are clearly and obviously true (for example, the fact that players will find ways to get places within a space whenever possible). But all his other points, such as how thrusting more responsibility on 1 player = "not fun" for the rest of the team, or how certain mechanics that only pop up after a failure (like the oversoul appearing after someone dies) are inherently bad... I think his takeaways on these points begin to explain why I personally feel like the raids are getting progressively worse.

Having certain players take a "lead" role in raid encounters was fantastic. It allowed players who were more experienced or more skilled in certain aspects to lead and direct a team of less experienced players to success. It was a path for new raiders to participate and get a feel for the encounters without being overwhelmed by a tsunami of mechanics. Then, as those players become more familiar with an encounter, they can graduate to more of a "lead" role.

Fantastic for that player, perhaps. They got to show their skills, they had the opportunity get even better at a challenging task, and they were in demand. That lead player wasn't leading anyone really, because most of the time no one else followed their lead. In most runs I ever did there was always someone who was recognized as the best at sword running, and they did it because most people WANTED them to do it because it was less stressful on everyone (and less fun), but we wants our lootses. I ran the sword once and severely tested the patience of five people (I'm grateful, but I wasn't about to ask for more opportunities in order to get better).

Killing all the remaining ads after the Deathsinger was also fun... it was a nice way to "vent" after the stressful race against the clock that proceeded it. Plus, it was a great way to build up supers and collect ammo before entering the final encounter of the raid.

I agree with you there.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread