It's safer (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 05, 2018, 12:52 (2006 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I find that the newer raids are too often dependent on every player understanding the entire encounter perfectly. There often no room for 1 player to make a mistake without causing a wipe for the whole group. My problem with this is that it raises the skill-floor that's required to make it through the raids up to a level that I worry is too high for the community at large. I could say with confidence to most D1 players "Your raid group can make it through VoG... it just might take some groups more time and practice than others". I don't think that can be said for Riven. Or even the vanilla D2 raids. I think they've moved up to a level of complexity and are demanding of perfection in a way that puts them out of reach for a lot of players out there.

I can completely agree here. It does feel like you need to understand the WHOLE thing, which is not bad or good really (depending on player knowledge etc), whereas you had a singular role in each encounter before. I did feel I could run each raid in D1 with different people each time and complete it. Not at all in D2. I feel like I need the same crew, so we have the same thoughts etc.

Eh, I think folks sometimes overthink that aspect. I’ve been lucky enough to raid on two platforms with multiple groups of people. It’s nice to have a consistent team to make things easier, but the raids aren’t that difficult in the end. I’ve had people try and lecture me while doing Leviathan after a year for not equipping the “right” super or gear, or not doing things correctly. Stuff like stacking up on the far right door in the throne room. Sure, that makes things easy. It’s also boring and totally unnecessary. I hate raiding with people that only care about efficiency.

That’s why I liked the raid lair prestige modes, at least in principal. It was a little bit of that old feeling of doing Croat with only Necrochasms. We don’t see much of that anymore, and I do think a lot of that is because of raids being designed to require more precision and it’s jist not as fun to goof off in them because they feel much higher pressure.

But, in any case, I don’t think even the Last Wish needs a consisten crew to be on the same wavelength. It’s just more tedious and time consuming to explain your wavelength to the new player, even if that player knows the encounter. I saw you all dealing with it last week. Okay, what do you call these 16 distinct symbols? How do you number these things or call out those things? It’s a mess.

I like the challenge of figuring it out. That aspect of Riven was really great. The execution of it is tedious and not fun though.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread