Fun Thread - Crota designer looks back on the raid (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 06, 2018, 10:45 (2005 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The only really unique thing is the mechanic with Riven's Eyes, which is admittedly pretty neat, but the entire rest of the encounter is lackluster. Actual combat skill and gunplay barely factors into the encounter at all.

Heh - I was gonna argue with this... but thinking back on last night, the VAST majority of our fails came from being in the wrong place to cleanse ("No, not that one, a little higher up the stairs- never mind, I've got the res") or missing eye shots. (I guess getting pushed by Ogres counts as combat skills deaths; we should have cleared them before shooting.)

I still wonder if just numbering those positions might be more effective than the callouts we’ve used. I think it would, but only marginally. You’d still have to have them memorized very well, and moving around that room is obviously way different than what it looks like while staring through the window. The orb runners need to pretty know exactly where every one of the symbols are to be able to accomplish that part smoothly.

The process isn't unique, it's just precise, and very long - mistakes compound, and the need for perfection becomes tedious. I can see why LFG groups ONLY do the cheese.

I will probably mainly do the cheese from here on out, if I do it at all. I had a lot of fun last night, but that was solely because of you folks and not at all because of the activity.

It’s a really neat encounter on paper, I think, but in practice it is just not fun or compelling.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread