Fun Thread - Crota designer looks back on the raid (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, November 05, 2018, 09:50 (2006 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I ran the sword once and severely tested the patience of five people (I'm grateful, but I wasn't about to ask for more opportunities in order to get better).

I think you’re projecting a bit there. I mean, I wasn’t there, I don’t know how anyone felt. And I certainly know what it feels like to be the weak link and feel like I’m holding the group back, and it’s not a good feeling.

But I think maybe you underestimate this community’s patience. There’s very few people here that wouldn’t willingly let you run sword as much as you wanted to learn that role. Again, I know that’s a sort of anxiety inducing thing to do—it’s hard to ask for people’s time in that way. But most people here don’t mind.

I get what you’re saying, though. Being able to actively avoid doing the challenging role undoubtedly leads to most people doing so, even if they want to learn it, because it becomes a higher pressure situation than it otherwise might be.

I agree. And even if I take the most pessimistic view possible, I come down in favor of a Crota-style encounter over something akin to a Riven-style encounter.

Let's say I'm a newbie, running Crota with an LFG group of Randos. I'll be far more comfortable asking if I can try running the sword, knowing that if I crash and burn I can say "thanks for letting me try" and hand the responsibility over to someone who knows what they're doing. Compare that to Riven. Let's say I'm new, and I just can't figure out a certain callout mechanic. Well now I'm holding back the entire group, and there's no way around it. That is a far more stressful situation, and one that is more likely to create impatience and frustration within the group.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread