My main concern is story, and here is why I'm still worried (Destiny)

by Monochron, Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 08:34 (3472 days ago) @ Korny

He describes the story telling for the (maybe 3?) new missions as the Thorn exotic quest being "the inspiration for how we're attempting to tell the story in this expansion". My concern is that the Thorn Exotic quest is a great example of what is wrong with story telling in the core game.

You have a series of fetch and achieve tasks to perform which are conveyed to you through text on an abstract "missive", and then you have to rehash a Strike mission with an additional bad guy to kill. There is no real story presented to you, you have to read a bunch of text or Grimoire cards to get context or back story. No characters with personalities. No sense of need or urgency or danger. In fact, there is more story, exposition, and character content in the base game. If they are basing the Dark Below's story on that bounty, it almost seems like they are going to make it less expositional than the base game.

Now, I'm assuming that I'm understanding that incorrectly. It doesn't make sense for Bungie to do this while they talk about improving story presentation. However, when I played the Beta, I assumed that there was little story because it had been removed for the Beta. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed that there would be rich story in the Earth missions in the final game. Basically, it's hard to trust now, I have no idea what to expect :(

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread