The Dark Below content... *Updated* (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 11:38 (3439 days ago) @ RC

Harold Ryan: There's a bunch of shared-world content we've shipped on the disc specifically to limit download sizes for people. Both inside the US and all over the world, how much you download on your local home internet connection can be a problem, and even how much storage space it takes up on your console.
So we share a lot of assets across all the activities in the game. When people get into areas that aren't unlocked right now, they're seeing pieces we built and shipped ahead of time, but they're by no means the finished experiences or even the finished content.

I really want to call bullshit on this.
If they were more up front about it, and preferably had an engineer tell us, preferably several, then I could believe this. Downloads and disk space are concerns, yes, and I bet they thought about them, but I don't believe they were the main reason this stuff is on the disk.
That doesn't even mean it was already done or almost done or it was a low-brow money grab in some other way, I just have a hard time buying these reasons, so I feel like I'm being lied to, and I really do not appreciate being lied to.
I guess it doesn't matter though, at least not now. It's only a couple story missions, a couple multiplayer maps, a strike, and a raid. I can't even get the other strike, one of the multiplayer maps, or this mysterious new exotic weapon. It's not like they lost a sale with the questionable reasoning, they lost a sale by delivering a meager amount of content and then cutting it down more because I don't play on the console made by the manufacturer that gave them a bunch of advertising and presumably money-- which is totally understandable, but also totally sucks.
As for future sales, Bungie is now even more in the category of companies that need to win me back to get any of my money. (Currently Bungie is the only company in that category except probably McDonald's.)
(Also, wow this is horrible timing for them. I know I'm an edge case, but 343i totally and completely sold me on the Master Chief Collection yesterday, and today Bungie confirmed I won't be buying their first expansion or presumably their second expansion any time soon.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread