So let's compare new $60 games to Destiny... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, October 30, 2014, 14:08 (3437 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Think of it like this: If you could buy two movie tickets for $20, you'd get about 4 hours of movie out of that. So if you get 4 hours of gameplay from it, you're even.

Yes because all experiences are the same, and a ten second orgasm is worth the same as ten seconds of playing Halo.

Playtime is not a valuable way to assess game quality.
Playtime for money is an even WORSE way to assess game quality.

TLOU: Left Behind was $20 and was about two hours long, if that.
Minerva's Den was $10, and was about five or six hours long...

Both gave me what I wanted for my money's worth, and I won't complain that LB gave me far less time than MD...

What he was saying was not that "if it's 4 hours long, you can't complain about paying $20". What he meant was that people will happily pay $20 for a two-hour movie that they might not even like, but for some reason, they go crazy with paying as much for small DLC, despite the fact that you theoretically would get the same amount of time with it on your first playthrough, knowing that it won't be ALL you get out of it, unlike a movie ticket, and if you're paying for DLC, then obviously you enjoy the game enough to shell out money for it. And you'll have more content to spend time with friends on...

Then again, I'm one of the folks who'll pay $60 for a Treyarch Call of Duty with the Campaign story as my biggest draw, and I'll still buy the Season pass, because the multiplayer is balanced and fun to play with others even if it's not my style, and the Zombie's mode is fun for some mindless shooting.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread