That's not worth 20 dollars. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, October 29, 2014, 18:29 (3467 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Destiny is a game that already has a significant lack of content, and is charging 20 dollars for what will end up being less than 5 hours of gameplay. And it's coming out a month after the MCC, which has what... 96 maps and four campaigns and two remastered campaigns and multiplayer? All for 60?

The MCC is a great deal, but it's been 13 years in the making, and the hardest parts of that content was done long before any work began on this repackaging. In other words, it's not something out of nothing.

Destiny, on the other hand, is not quite like anything else,

It mostly is, though; it's not exactly like anything else, but nothing is exactly like anything else. It's a good-to-great shooter with magic-like abilities and MMO-style investment and grind shoved in. Regardless, whether it's a fair comparison or not, the MCC is their competition, and for at least a few people, they are (massively) losing the competition.

Sure. I'll grant that MCC looks much more attractive to many. I'm excited about it myself. MCC is special and a great value even though I've already spent hundreds of dollars to own most of that content. I'm paying to future-proof content that means a lot to me. (Wish Reach and ODST would get the same treatment.)

Halo's already made mountains of money, though, and Microsoft could afford to burnish the MCC as a system seller (and probably a Halo 5 seller). It's a fantastic way to leverage the value of assets that have already been developed and have proven appeal.

You could compare the amount of content in any new $60 game and its DLC to the MCC and it would come up short. The point of my post got edited out, which is that Destiny has enough appeal at this early date that the expansions are worth it to me to see where they go next, and that's without the nostalgia factor that is a big part of my motivation to buy the MCC.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread