You're doing that thing again. (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 13:04 (3384 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A good game is a game in which cheating robs YOU of the fun and experience. In most games, skipping to the last level with invincibility would be worse than playing the game proper. It would be BORING. In a good game, players would not want to cheat, because that would destroy the experience and challenge.

See, I have to stop you right here, because you are assuming again that people are playing games to get the same satisfaction that you do- which is not true.

I can name plenty of people who enter in cheat codes and otherwise play games not as intended by the developer because THAT is what they find fun.

-People who enter in the codes to unlock all songs in rock band or guitar hero to play with their friends, are by your definition, cheating and robbing themselves of the experience of the game by not playing the story mode to unlock each song, even the ones they don't want to play.

-People who load up GTA_ and enter in the codes for unlimted health, money, whatever weapon and car they want and then see how long they can hold out against the cops are again, cheating by your definition because they didn't obtain those items the long way. (I grew up with a guy who bought the game, played ZERO of the story, because he just loved doing exactly what I just said previously. That was the game to him. That was fun)

Are these games inherently bad, or good, then? Are they automatically bad games because someone wanted to enter in a cheat code?

Don't answer that- because it doesn't matter.

You and Raga can sit there and scream at my buddy that he's playing the games wrong, and that somehow, (by which neither of you have explained) it is negatively impacting YOUR playing of that game, even though it has ZERO impact on you. My buddy don't care. He's gonna enter the codes, and waste civilians until he's giddy.

Metacritic and Kotaku and whatever other critics and metrics can say a game is "good", and that doesn't mean -I'll- think it is good. Case in point, The Last of Us, looks like a really shitty game to me, and I didn't enjoy the demo I played, yet it gets heaps positive feedback.

It's all subjective, bro.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread