Hit the wrong button there. (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 13:29 (3384 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I got 4 of my buds, we want to play rock band. Well, fuck me, I don't have the songs unlocked.The game didn't rob us of that fun (I guess technically I did?), or maybe it did by not having them unlocked from the git go- DOESN'T MATTER-

The people WHO ENJOY the chase, will call me bad words because I used a cheat code.

The people WHO DON'T like the chase, and want to hop in and go, will want to know how I did it.

See, here you've changed the conditions of the game; you're playing a different game. It's no longer about progressing through the game, it's about playing with friends. But there's still challenge and conditions of failure.

Cody was arguing that removing the conditions of failure is what robs you of the challenge, and that as such, you aren't really playing a game anymore.

Gahhhhh but that DEPENDS ON WHAT THE GAME IS[/u]!

Halo was not about speed running, and people love that for some reason (god bless them).

AREN'T THEY ROBBING THEMSELVES OF THE PLEASURE OF HOT PINK NEEDLES IN THEIR FACE AT A NORMAL PACE?

Well, no. They've changed what the goal is. There's still challenge and conditions for success and failure.

Or did they make their own fun?

I don't think Cody ever argues against fun.

PERHAPS, MAYBE, this dood with the controller bot, had FUN making it, tweaking it, and putting it into action?

I think Cody is a fan of this guy, actually.

Cody's ideal enjoyment (while pure and noble) of a game, does not make it the be-all end-all!

He's not arguing about what I think you're arguing about. He's making a more objective statement about what a game is, not which ones he likes. The parts about what kinds of games he likes, and how Destiny should be one, is where I lose him.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread