Smart man automates Destiny grinding (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 13:35 (3384 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I don't think anyone would hate progressively building their characters if:

1. The requirement for progression is fun.
2. The requirement for progression is not random.
3. The progression makes the player make interesting choices about their progression.

Sounds like a game I've played recently called Destiny:

2. To progress you do missions and multiplayer that pay out a known amount of currency and use that currency to buy armor and weapons for known prices. Sometimes the game also rewards you with unexpected weapons and armors.

Can you get a Gjallarhorn or a black hammer that way? Can you get to level 32 with raid gear that way? Nope. If you want to do Hard mode tomorrow, you had to have gotten to 32 by way of an RNG.

3. There are choices between mutually exclusive subclass powers and choices between exotic weapons and armors all of which I find interesting.

Do you really think that all the skills in Destiny are interesting and really that different? Most are you choosing some secondary effect for a skill you have to have. All gunslingers play nearly identically. All Voidwalkers play nearly identically. The changes to skills have a minimal effect on what you are doing in the game. You get 2 subclasses, which play somewhat differently. Deus Ex gives you infinity subclasses.

There are also only a handful of exotics that actually supplement a new playstyle.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread